Google has announced in the last hours a new minor version of its operating system to Android 7.1.2 Nougat, available from this moment only and exclusively in public beta form. As shown in the numerical progression of Android Nougat, some new features of some importance will be added regarding the features of the operating system, but in general all the new features will be invisible to our eyes. The Google development team has essentially focused on finishing work, but without missing the usual "bug fixes and optimizations."
The company has detailed that the installation of Android 7.1.2 Nougat is still not recommended because, as it is not a finished code and has global stability, it could present numerous problems of various kinds. It could give stability problems, obviously, but also performance or battery life problems in our smartphones, or problems with third-party or native applications that may not work as expected in normal situation. In addition, the list of smartphones and tablets on which the first beta is currently compatible is quite restricted to the latest devices from Google.
The public beta of Android 7.1.2 Nougat is available for the Pixel, Pixel XL, Nexus 5X, Nexus Player and Pixel C, and soon also for the Nexus 6P. Apparently, at least temporarily, Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 are excluded from this list. For the former, it is now possible to download the factory images by following the link to the Android 7.1.2 Public Beta Images page, but if you already have one of the devices mentioned above, you can also subscribe to the Android Beta Program to receive the OTA. As it is an incremental version focused on the optimization and correction of errors, it is true that no big news is expected, but have already reported some problems derived from the new beta version of Android Nougat.
- Pixel C: Quick Settings may not be visible in some cases.
- Pixel Launcher can crash when you open an app with a connected physical keyboard.
- Sporadic user interface blocking.
- Stability issues with Wi-Fi networks.
Problems after first Set-Up:
- Black screen during the transition from the boot screen to the setup wizard screen.
- Wi-Fi disabled after completing the installation, even if the user has chosen to configure the device through the mobile network.
- SMS messages can not be restored during transfer from one device to another.